There are times in life when we all could use someone to talk to. Have you ever had one of those moments? Perhaps you have an important decision to make, or maybe things are not going very well at home or in a relationship. Most of us hesitate to reach out to friends and family. They are too busy, or they don’t have the sensitivity or confidentiality we are looking for. They also probably don’t have the professional skills to counsel us.
Therapy and counseling can offer you a safe, confidential place to talk about your life and anything that may be confusing, painful or uncomfortable. A therapist or counselor can be like the perfect friend: they listen deeply, they don’t judge us, they are empathic and compassionate, and they ask insightful questions. When we speak to that ‘perfect friend,’ we feel a big weight lift off of us and feel that everything is going to be better. A good therapist or counselor can do this for us, and much more.
What can therapy do for you?
- Create a safe space away from every thing else
- Provide a place to find peace
- Someone to truly listen to you
- Help you find clarity
- Assist you in gaining new insights
- Support you in freely expressing feelings and emotions
- Help you sort things out
- Facilitate the release of old hurts and trauma
- Help you free up your energy
- Support you in learning new skills for coping and to create positive life changes
Good therapy can help us move through a transition more easily, get out of a dark place, break an addiction, renew our relationships, and enliven our lives. Therapy teaches us new skills and frees our self-expression.
How do we find a good therapist or counselor that is the right one personally for us? Here are a few tips on what to look for in a counselor or therapist:
- Years of professional experience
- Specifically treats the issues you need help with
- Has testimonials from previous clients that speak to you
- You feel good when you speak to them
- They are accessible, sensitive and warm
- They are skilled and knowledgeable
- They are positive, confident and compassionate
- You feel they really want to help you
- After the first few sessions you feel you are benefitting and feel hopeful
Is Therapy Right for You?
Are you struggling with something, feel overwhelmed, or feel like a failure? Are you depressed or overly anxious? Consider giving yourself the gift of seeing a therapist or counselor. Whether you have never been to a therapist, or even if you have had a bad experience in the past, consider opening yourself to finding a therapist who is right for you. Don’t keep your life on hold when there are gifted therapists that can help you turn your life around.
I can be seen in-person in Boulder, CO, or by Zoom from anywhere in the world.
Therapy may not be what you need, though perhaps personal life coaching is what you want. Let’s talk and figure out what is best for you. I am here to help people move their lives forward however they would like to approach it.
Schedule a Complimentary Consult.